From the site of the European Wilderness Society:
Breaking news: Italy latest country to permit killing of wolves
As most of you may have heard, Italy has approved the new Italian Wolf plan. This new Wolf plan includes derogations (killing) up to a maximum of 5% of the wolf population. This is what we know from the official communication of the government and from Media and this is nothing unexpected. We are trying to find out more about the details to clarify such questions:
- Why should 5% of the Wolf population be killed at all?
- 5% of what population: the total Italian population or the appennine or the alpine one or of the regional population?
- Does the 5% include the current increasing number of Wolves illegally poached or not?
- Who is the allowed to kill the wolves?
- What about the permission procedures?
- Who will decide which wolves, where and by whom to be killed?
As soon as our Italian partners know more about this evolving story, we will inform you and update this website.